Saturday 3 March 2018

Model Village






















A favourite of children of all ages but a victim of falling numbers and increasing costs of vandalism this attraction on Ramsgate's Westcliff closed in 2003. Built by Ken Wake's wife's grandfather in 1953 it provided many years of enjoyment. Some of the town of Castlewolde have been sent to other model villages and some are at Salmenstone Grange in Margate.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/visitor-slump-spells-end-for-cas-a9461/

4 comments:

  1. I visited as a child in the 1970's. Thought the streaker on the cricket pitch was a bit saucy, and the radio-controlled boats on the lake, just before the exit (extra charge , I think 5p). Also turning the handle to reveal from a boathouse, the 'water 'otter'. A Kettle on a trolley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the great pictures. I visited the model village in the mid 1970's. I recall the showjumper (Harvey Smith) doing the V-sign, the streaker on the cricket pitch and the people you could see through the house windows. Remote control boats on the fish pond on the way to the exit. Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to the model village in the 1970s and 80s it was not a proper holiday if we hadn't been to see the model village, my brother, me and my grandad couldn't wait to go see .I was looking forward to taking my daughter, sometimes I think the kids are really missing out on the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the model village and often went with my Gran. I recall the remote controlled boats, the hospital with the leg being sawn off, the water hotter, the people in the houses and buying the pack of postcards. A truly magical place.

    ReplyDelete